So, you're sick and you REALLY don't feel like going to the doctor's office or waiting for hours at the emergency room. Should you be looking up your symptoms on Google? Vinny and Nikki discussed it this morning, and there are definitely pros and cons!
- You might save several hours at the ER, especially if you have something that isn't serious;
- You might find an effective home remedy online;
- There is actually accurate information out there, you just need to look in the right places.
If you're a hypochondriac, searching your symptoms can lead to increased anxiety and paranoia... There are also some other problems.
- If you have something serious, it's best to see a doctor;
- If you have anxiety, paranoia or hypochondria, it's probably a bad idea;
- Some information out there could be incomplete, inaccurate or irrelevant to you;
- There is no substitute for having a doctor examine you in person, as they can perform tests and write prescriptions. None of that can be done online.
Doctors are also an excellent source of advice, references and help... But there might be good reasons to do a bit of research before going to the doctor's office. It's best to use your judgement!