The details are out on The government of Canada’s website on how to apply for the CERB benefit program. Each payment of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) covers a 4-week period, beginning March 15, 2020. When you apply, it is for a single payment for the 4-week period. You can expect $2,000 ($500 per week) for a 4-week period. If in 4 weeks the situation persists you can apply for an additional 4-week period, up to a maximum of 16 weeks.
In order to not flood their websites the government has designated special days for anyone who is applying by the month of your birthday.
If you were born in the month of:
- January, February or March you are eligible to apply as of
Monday April 6th
- April, May or June you are eligible to apply as of
Tuesday April 7th
- July, August or September you are eligible to apply as of
Wednesday April 8th
- October, November or December you are eligible to apply as of Thursday April 9th
- And other month you are eligible to apply as of
Friday, April 10th, Saturday April 11th or Sunday April 12th.
If you are getting your payment by direct deposit, you can expect your payment within 3 business days from the day you submitted your application. If you pick the option to receive your payment by cheque you can expect it within 10 business days from the day you submitted your application.