Quebec continues to have the most confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada. The Federal government have said that it is a result due to the fact that the province's spring break had started earlier than other provinces.
The Premier of Quebec, François Legault, reports on the most recent assessment of the COVID-19 pandemic in the province. Quebec now has 6101 confirmed cases that is 583 more than yesterday. There are 25 new deaths from COVID-19 since yesterday, a significant increase bringing the total toll to 61. There are 423 Quebecers are being treated in the hospital and 122 in intensive care.
Health authorities said 234 Quebecers who had been diagnosed for COVID-19 have now recovered.
Quebec wants to raise the wages of certain essential workers. Legault, plans to improve the wages of essential services workers suchas cashiers at grocery stores, convenience stores and pharmacies who earn less than $2,000 per month, an amount corresponding to the provincial bonus that will be paid to workers who have lost their jobs during this pandemic. There will be an increase of $400 per month for a period of 4 months for these workers.
The Legault government announced its intention to help small and medium-sized businesses in the province that have been hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic. In all, $150 million in the form of a loan or loan guarantee will be remitted (MRCs) and equivalent territories, which will manage these sums.
Legault also announced he will be taking Saturday off; he will be replaced at tomorrow’s briefing by Deputy Premier and Public Security Minister Genevieve Guilbault.