It doesn’t matter how smart you are (or THINK you are)… Appearances count for everyone!
If you want to fit in, and be seen as someone who is smart, there are some simple things you can do that will “trick” other people’s subconscious into thinking of you as a smarter person!
Here are just a few:
- Put down your drink! Studies have found that just holding a drink can lead to others thinking of you as less intelligent;
- Use your middle initial when introducing yourself;
- Write simply, avoid using fancy words. Too often, people use complicated words that may not have the intended meaning. Focus on getting your message across instead of trying to be impressive with big, fancy words;
- Eye contact is crucial. People will think your attention span is too short if you can’t maintain eye contact;
- Confidence is also important. If you appear confident and expressive in what you are saying, people will tend to believe you more easily;
- “Dress for success”: showing too much skin will distract others from your face and eyes, making them potentially lose track of what you are saying.
PLUS, play Are You Smarter Than Sam weekeday mornings with Nikki, Sam and Andy at 6:40AM and 7:45AM.