Quebec reported over 1,000 COVID-19 cases today bringing the total number of people infected in the province to 91,018 since the start of the pandemic.
After a week of hovering below the 1,000 mark, Quebec’s public health authority announced 1,055 new cases of the virus.
The public health ministry also reported 14 more people have died from the disease. One of the deaths occurred in the last 24 hours, 11 happened in the last week, and an additional two deaths occurred before Oct. 9.
Despite the number of new cases, according to Health Minister Christian Dube, Quebec's red-zone measures for the month of October appear to be helping.
“We’re following our game plan, we are where we want to be at this point in the month, but the match hasn’t been won," Dube said. “The fact is that Quebecers all together have succeeded in changing the trend that we noticed last week."
Dube is asking Quebecers to continue to follow the rules.
"We mustn’t change our behaviour just because things are getting better," Dube said. “For me this is a concrete example of exactly what can happen when we pool our efforts.”
The number of COVID-19 deaths in the province now stands at 6,018. The number of hospitalizations now stands at 507. Of those, 87 are in intensive care.