Last week, the Quebec government announced that students across various Quebec regions would not be allowed to attend prom for a second year in a row. Now less than a week later, the province has reversed its decision allowing high school students to celebrate graduation after all!
Premier Francois Legault made the announcement Tuesday afternoon at a press conference saying Quebec will allow high school proms to take place after July 8. According to Legault, a maximum of 250 people will be allowed so long as the prom takes place outdoors, and with tents.
“I know how important (proms) are for young people,” Legault said. “I remember my prom at the Vaudreuil Inn, it lasted well into the night, and it was memorable.”
Dr. Horacio Arruda, Quebec’s director of public health, said the government decided to ease restrictions on graduations and proms since most teenagers in the province will have received a first vaccine dose by June 24.
Graduation ceremonies with parents will also be allowed, with distancing guidelines in place.