South Shore public health authorities say 28 children and staff who attended a day camp in Boucherville have tested positive for COVID-19 and that’s not counting secondary infections tied to the outbreak. In a letter sent to parents, the CISSS de la Montérégie-Centre said they worry even more people could have been infected via asymptomatic carriers.
Martine Lesage, a spokesperson for the Central Monteregie health district said the outbreak began on July 20 and they are monitoring the situation closely in collaboration with the day camp management. The camp is now closed until August 7.
Apparently, there were five other day camps in the region with positive cases, but according to local health authorities, these other camps had no more than two cases each.
Either way, summer isn’t going so smoothly for kids in Montreal. Another COVID-19 outbreak among lifeguards in Lachine forced the borough to close pools until August 6. Meanwhile, the swimming pools at Kirkland, LaSalle, and Michel-Ménard parks have been closed since July 22 after members of the lifeguard team tested positive for COVID-19.
And just recently, a summer hockey camp in NDG was closed on Saturday after at least three teenagers and a 23-year-old coach tested positive for the coronavirus. The Montreal summer camp in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce discovered late last week that one of its coaches was infected with the pandemic illness. The following Monday, camp owner Eric Rayment was notified by parents that “three or four” campers aged 12 to 14 tested positive.
On Monday, deputy premier Geneviève Guilbault expressed concerns about this trend. “We see a worrying spike in contagion among teens and young adults,” Guilbault told reporters. “That’s why we’re asking young people to mobilize to respect the public health instructions. For your health and that of your loved ones, you must not let your guard down. You have the power to keep the situation under control.”
It’s the latest in a series of outbreaks across Quebec as the province sees a resurgence in infections— yet despite these reports, Health Minister Christian Dubé says the government will proceed with plans to permit public gatherings of up to 250 people as of Aug. 3.