Go to content

Quebec's restrictions to continue as COVID-19 cases soar

Quebec's restrictions to continue as COVID-19 cases soar
/ Emile Nadeau

The strict lockdown measures to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in Quebec will remain in place for another two weeks.

Premier François Legault made the announcement Tuesday afternoon alongside Health Minister Christian Dube and public health director Horacio Arruda.

“The number of new cases was stabilizing but we’re now seeing an increase,” Legault told reporters, adding that the increase in infections justifies keeping bars, gyms, entertainment venues and restaurants closed.

Lockdown measures will continue through Nov. 23, he confirmed.

Legault added that he hopes that small gatherings will be allowed in December but said large holiday parties will not be permitted.

“Yesterday we heard important news that gives us hope. It will still take months before we can vaccine a good part of the population, so we must remain diligent.”

Legault made the announcement as Quebec reported 1,162 new cases and 38 more deaths earlier in the day, bringing the total number of cases in the province since the start of the pandemic to 117, 151.

Subscribe to our newletter!Subscribe to our newletter!
By subscribing, I agree to receive communications by email from Cogeco Média and its affiliates, including news, updates, activities and contests. You can unsubscribe at any time by using the link at the bottom of our emails or contacting us via our Privacy Policy. Please note, however, that we may still continue to send you service-related and other non-commercial communications. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Streaming will resume following advertisement.
The Weekend Breakfast
Live
On air uptil 12:00