On Canada's National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (NDTR or Orange Shirt Day), The Beat 92.5 and Cogeco Media honour the children who never returned home and the survivors of Canada's Residential School system, as well as their families and communities.
Taking time to learn about and reflect upon Canada's colonial history and the impact of residential schools on Indigenous communities is a vital step in the reconciliation process. For those looking for ways to start the conversation and/or further educate themselves, we invite you to check out the following resources listed below:
- Learn about Indigenous Peoples and Culture.
- Learn about Indigenous History in Canada.
- Learn about Residential School History in Canada.
- How the Canadian Government is Working to Advance Reconciliation.
- Orange Shirt Day Education & Discussion Guide.
- Orange Shirt Day Origin & History.
- Former residential school students can call 1-866-925-4419 for emotional crisis referral services and information on other health supports from the Government of Canada.
Today we ask that you join us in reflecting on Canada's history, its relationship with the Indigenous peoples and wearing orange to support the "Every Child Matters" cause.