Go to content

What parents should know about Halloween this year, and how to prepare

What parents should know about Halloween this year, and how to prepare
/ Rebecca Nelson / The Image Bank / Getty Images
0:00
5:29

Most of 2020 has been altered by the coronavirus pandemic, and the spookiest night of the year is likely to be no different.

In a press conference earlier this week, Quebec Premier François Legault was asked what Halloween 2020 might look like in the province. While he said that Oct. 31 is still too far away to say whether or not kids should be allowed to go trick or treating, he does foresee it being possible, so long as special measures are put in place.

“Of course, I know it’s very important for children,” Legault said. “I would like that we have Halloween. It will probably be with special directives and different from the way that we’re used to. But it’s too soon, it’s on October 31, there are many weeks to come before Halloween.”

But what if Halloween is cancelled? What would it look like across all of Canada?

As Canada continues to grapple with the COVID-19 pandemic, it is looking less likely trick-or-treating fun on Halloween night will happen across most provinces.

Going door-to-door for trick or treating has already been banned in certain parts of the United States along with haunted houses, parties, and other mainstay attractions— but this news is extra troubling for Montrealers who had Halloween cancelled last year due to a weather forecast that included heavy rain and high winds.

If the mayor of Montreal was willing to cancel the event because of some rain, chances are the city will surely cancel Halloween in 2020.

On The Beat 5@7, Cat Spencer and Claudia Marques discuss what parents should know about Halloween this year and how to prepare.

Listen to the segment above. Enjoy!

****

Here is a breakdown of where the provinces currently stand via The Huffington Post:

British Columbia: Provincial public health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry gave her approval for pandemic Halloween celebrations, in a press conference last Wednesday. Guidelines are still a work-in-progress, but Henry advised families to consider outdoor neighbourhood events over indoor gatherings.

Ontario: Premier Doug Ford said the province will “play it by ear” before coming to a final decision last Thursday, with Toronto mayor John Tory indicating to CP24 that he would cancel Halloween in the city should chief health officer Dr. Eileen de Villa advise him to.

Quebec: Premier François Legault and public health officer Dr. Horatio Arruda have given the OK for Halloween, with special considerations to come.

Alberta: Guidelines are underway to make Halloween enjoyable, public health officer Dr. Deena Hinshaw said in a September news briefing.

Nova Scotia: An unnamed public health spokesperson told CBC that the province will give an answer closer to late October.

Prince Edward Island: Public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison said Halloween would proceed as always in September, with some changes made to account for the virus.

 

Subscribe to our newletter!Subscribe to our newletter!
By subscribing, I agree to receive communications by email from Cogeco Média and its affiliates, including news, updates, activities and contests. You can unsubscribe at any time by using the link at the bottom of our emails or contacting us via our Privacy Policy. Please note, however, that we may still continue to send you service-related and other non-commercial communications. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Streaming will resume following advertisement.
The Weekend Breakfast
Live
On air uptil 12:00 PM