Who doesn't like a good power nap once in a while? A nice Sunday afternoon, curled up on the couch with the dog and the sun beaming through the windows...sounds like the perfect afternoon to us!
As long as it doesn't last too long. NASA recently studied the effects of sleep on its crew members and found out how long the perfect power nap should last.
Source: izusek / E+ / Getty Images
The ideal power nap should only last 26 minutes. Any more time should be considered a regular nap, really. 26-minute long naps are proven to boost performance by 34 percent and alertness by up to 54 percent, according to studies.
To reach this ideal length, sleepers should:
- Have caffeine before falling asleep (it will kick in right as you'll need to wake up from your nap!);
- Keep their head propped up on a cushion or pillow;
- Only nap midday, otherwise they might find themselves losing sleep at night;
- Get rid of any distractions;
- Set an alarm after 26 minutes.
Now THAT'S how you achieve a good power nap! If you don't mind us, we're about to go take a quick snooze ourselves...